DEALING WITH INADEQUACY 

    A father surprised  his son with a new  bicycle. The son  never new  how to ride one  but he was more than determined to learn. The father taught his son and soon the son was able to ride but not so well. The father then took his son on a rather steep hill. The father took two of  his friends along. He wanted to show off his son's mastery riding skills to his friends.
    He then instructed his son to ride up the hill. The boy was used to smooth terrains only  and he seemed a little bit confused. As the son was about to start his journey up, he stopped and started thinking,   "This hill is so steep, what if I fail my father, what if I fall and hurt myself, what if I fall and my friends come and laugh at me?"   His father came and whispered, "Look at the hill clearly, its not that steep, your mind is just teasing you." The son jerked and took one look at the hill, breathed in and out and he was  off.

    I once found myself in such a situation. I was given a task which I thought was way too big for me. I  was actually tasked to be a time keeper and I never thought it was going to be easy as it was. Truth be told I was afraid of responsibilities. Responsibilities are always accompanied with expectations. People will expect you to be perfect at it and this weighs most people down. Suddenly people will start viewing you differently and start pinning high expectations on you forgetting that you are human. 
    The problem is not exactly the tasks  we are tasked  with being too big for us but the problem lies with the huge expectations that come along with the tasks assigned. The best we can do is to relax, stay calm and set the ball rolling.
    There was also a contestant who vied for presidency, he was sure he wasn't winning, he just wanted to make a name for himself so that in the next elections he was sure to win. But shock on him he actually won the elections. At first he felt he was not up to the task but as he went along, he found that the task was not as big as he had thought at first.    

Comments

  1. Really Great Maryanne! Most of the times we over think,when in reality the hill really wasn't a hill,but a bump.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog